American Africans

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Shopping Malls in Ghana (Godfrey G)

Yeah, yeah, true. But Mokala market needs a 2000 year update. A good model would be the outdoor walking mall where I live in ATL – Atlantic station. It’s pedestrian with parks but the stores have AIR CONDITIONING. Plus from an architect’s standpoint a mall will be an economic generator (jobs/investment) and help spur urban INFRASTRUCTURE – like efficient water/sewage usage and maybe more electricity (unless they decide to be brilliant and go SOLAR)!

4 Comments:

  • I love the concept particularly if it means the vendors setting up shop there rather than Best Buy, Virgin Music, and Star Bucks Coffee. It really should be shops that are in the economic profile of their customers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 PM  

  • G,

    trust me. I don't think that the Mokala market and Arts and Craft Market's current condition is acceptable. But the skelaton format is what I'm talking about. A large maze of Pedestrian level store fronts/booths updated with 21st century amenities, and attractive way finding signage is what I had in mind. Solar engergy would be so ILL. It would be a perfect fit for Ghana and it would put them on the cutting edge of solar technology. But K's right, the majority of merchandise should be a reflection of the community at large. However, I do think there is room for some western merchandise in this environment. I'm sure there are young Ghanian's who are in the market for the latest New Era ball cap they may have seen in a Nas video.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:49 PM  

  • Man you’re over here stipulating what you think should be there. it’s supply and demand. People living in Ghana may not initially choose the stores but their wallets will determine the future of it. Don’t know if you noticed it but Ghana is very class-based and many middle class and rich cats will be all up in the mall buying western stuff. Eventually Mokala mkt. and the art-center will get an up fit but someone needs to fund it. Maybe you should get into development….any architect will tell you (pissed off) that developers are ALL ABOUT MONEY. That’s why they’re developing posh-$hit. Cause they know many will flock to it. But to be able to do the rest for the poor, infrastructure HAS to built by the private/rich because the government (of Ghana) HAS NO MONEY FOR THE POOR… however that’s part of my firm’s plan B (Bill Gates, Oprah, and Jimmy Carter)….

    You can’t be a blind idealist

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:53 PM  

  • but I think the problem is sustainability. There may be people with deep pockets but we still have a big gap between wealthy folks and poor folks. Its the middle class that sustains capitalism...

    By Blogger Kwasi, at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home