American Africans

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

IBM and Ghana (Kwabena A)

Hmm, Kwasi, I thought you just passed the press release, the program and the keynote speaker stuff to us. I guess you and I have to talk. I'm proud of how you think about Ghana and Africa. But I have reservations about certain things.

For the rest of the audience, my concern is the "Blay Miezer" type of dignitaries that I've heard nothing positive about for all the 22 years I've lived in this state with them (him). I applaud their desire to help Africa. I urge you all who can do something to do anything you can to help Africa. But be careful who your partners are, be they Ghanaians or not.

The history of Ghana, and presumably Africa, is fraught with those who came with the Bible, the Koran, the Tora, the Githa; with Colonialism, Imperialism, Socialism, Communism; with Democracy; with Instigation of Coups d'Etat, with Military Dictatorship; and now with "Good Governance for forgiveness of debt", all in exploitation of our human and natural resources. In Africa, you do not need letters of credit for the delivery of an AK-47 (automatic rifle) to your hut. But you will pay import duty on a bottle of Aspirin to your grandfather in Suhum.

"Forgiveness of debt": DEBT for which we have nothing to show; no airlines, railways, roads, bridges, hospitals, electricity, schools, libraries, pipe-borne water, sewerage. Nothing in return for our gold and diamond in the crowns of Queens in countries without a single diamond mine. Oil is siphoned from African rivers and lakes, farm lands and shores. Where did the debt come from? Who deposited the loan (for Ghana, for Nigeria, for Kenya) in the private accounts of the bad guys? What commission did the lenders take? How much of the principal was held back to service the loans? To insure the loans? As origination fee? Oh my God! We are bleeding with pain for the (mis)behavior of our contemporaries. We stood by as technologists and left politics to others. We focused on our research and paid no heed to the corruption. The legacy I want to leave with you is what Ronald Reagan said to (of) Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev: "Trust but verify". Where can we go from here?

Let us use our influences and our connections here, with our Majesties and their royal highnesses, in their petty kingdoms, to appeal to ALCOA to renegotiate the Volta Hydroelectric Power Contract of 50 years ago so that the people of Ghana can get a little bit more of the electricity from the Akosombo Dam. Just for home use. Let us appeal to Tyson chicken to invest in chicken/poultry farms in Ghana to provide jobs for the consumers of their product. (Imported Tyson chicken costs less than any chicken anybody can rear in Ghana). Let us appeal to Hershey of Pennsylvania to invest in pre-processing of cocoa in Ghana and/or Ivory Coast.

Earlier today, I coiled in a fetal position with chills as I listened to Senator Barack Obama declare his candidacy for the President of the United States of America. This is a Kenyan! He never forgot his roots. He visited his native land recently. Do we have a delegation of Africans in America to support his candidacy. This is a proposal for his royal highness to consider. If (when) Obama gets to the White House, unlike a certain country in the "middle east", will Kenya and/or Africa be ready to benefit from their native son's position? I doubt it.
God bless Africa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home