Barack Obama (Edmund)
It's too late! I've already posted our corespondence on NPR. Terry Gross will be contacting you all shortly: -)
About Barak Obama: African American leaders didn't come straight out and say Barack Obama isn't "Black Enough". The media has interpereted it that way and judging from earlier comments from the Black leadership I would have come to the same conclusion. I've heard Cornel West, Michael.....(Gentleman who spoke at Edgar's graduation), and Al Sharpton make comments on the level that Barack Obama does not fully represent the issues of the African American community, therefore he shouldn't be assumed as the favorite canidate. I truly believe that just because a canidate is black doesn't mean that he automatically earns the black vote. However, Barak Obama's politial career began in the black community on the south side of Chicago. Let's face it, he's no Alan Keyes and at the same time he is no Jesse Jackson. This is what makes him appealing to me. He's sympathetic to race issues, however, his rehtoric on race issues is current and does not mimic the traditional civil rights play book. Don't get me wrong he is still a politician and I'm sure he will make political decsisions that dissapoint me. However, I get the sense that he approaches social and political issues with a sense of pragmatism that is rare in liberal politics. On one other hand I can appreciate the resentment that must come from some of the black leadership. I can imagine being Jesse Jackson, having ran for president before and being an icon of the civil rights movement for almost 40 years. To have a newcomer like Barack Obama soak up all the attention with little opposition, I'd be a little resentful too. However, I believe that gap will close as 2008 approaches.
Bill Clinton has more political instincts in his pinky toe then his wife will ever have. She is extremely smart, however, she is a politician with no unique ideas of her own and I don't think she will make a good president. In my opinion black Americans don't owe Hillary anything for marrying Bill.
About Barak Obama: African American leaders didn't come straight out and say Barack Obama isn't "Black Enough". The media has interpereted it that way and judging from earlier comments from the Black leadership I would have come to the same conclusion. I've heard Cornel West, Michael.....(Gentleman who spoke at Edgar's graduation), and Al Sharpton make comments on the level that Barack Obama does not fully represent the issues of the African American community, therefore he shouldn't be assumed as the favorite canidate. I truly believe that just because a canidate is black doesn't mean that he automatically earns the black vote. However, Barak Obama's politial career began in the black community on the south side of Chicago. Let's face it, he's no Alan Keyes and at the same time he is no Jesse Jackson. This is what makes him appealing to me. He's sympathetic to race issues, however, his rehtoric on race issues is current and does not mimic the traditional civil rights play book. Don't get me wrong he is still a politician and I'm sure he will make political decsisions that dissapoint me. However, I get the sense that he approaches social and political issues with a sense of pragmatism that is rare in liberal politics. On one other hand I can appreciate the resentment that must come from some of the black leadership. I can imagine being Jesse Jackson, having ran for president before and being an icon of the civil rights movement for almost 40 years. To have a newcomer like Barack Obama soak up all the attention with little opposition, I'd be a little resentful too. However, I believe that gap will close as 2008 approaches.
Bill Clinton has more political instincts in his pinky toe then his wife will ever have. She is extremely smart, however, she is a politician with no unique ideas of her own and I don't think she will make a good president. In my opinion black Americans don't owe Hillary anything for marrying Bill.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home